Police checks are a fact of life in many industries, but there are limits on when an employer can ask for one. An employer can request a police check only if the position involves working with vulnerable people or handling money. Police check New South Wales also recommend position must be in a regulated industry, such as child care, health care, or financial services. The employer must seek the employee’s written consent before requesting a police check. When you’re asked to do a police check by your employer, here are a few things to keep in mind?
- Ask if the check is mandatory. Most companies require employees to have a police check unless there’s a specific reason why it shouldn’t be done. If the check is mandatory, make sure you understand what information will be collected and how long it will be kept.
- Get copies of all the documents that are requested. Make sure you have copies of your driver’s license, passport, and any other identification that may be requested.
- Remember that you have the right to appeal any requested information and the right to see the actual police certificate. If your employer asks for a copy of your criminal record, it’s in their best interest to provide one.
- Ask if your employer is required to have you provide a criminal background check. Many employers will only ask for this information if they require access to your private medical information.
- Know that it’s illegal to pressure you into providing a criminal background check.
Find out how to get a police check
A police check is a document that lists any criminal convictions an individual may have. Employers often request police checks from potential employees to ensure that they are not hiring someone with a criminal record. There are several ways to go about getting a police check. The most common way is to contact your local police department and ask for a copy of your criminal record. However, this can be time-consuming and expensive. Several online services offer police checks for a fee.
What to do if you have a criminal record
If you have a criminal record, you may feel like you are alone and there is no way out. First, you should seek legal assistance to help clear your name. You may also want to consider applying for a pardon or record suspension. Finally, you can take police check New South Wales to improve your life, such as getting a job, volunteering, and networking.
It all means that employers should be careful who they ask for police checks on for employees and employers. If an employer is unsure whether an employee needs a police check, they should ask. However, the employer must get the employee’s written consent before asking and explain what will happen if the application is denied.